This year marks the 20th year of honoring Michigan's public broadcasting pioneers. Up to two broadcasters may be honored —one Professional (radio, television or joint) and one Volunteer - for their contribution to public broadcasting in Michigan.
A volunteer category was added to acknowledge the thousands of people who give of themselves to further public broadcasting's ability to inform and entertain the citizens in Michigan.
- To recognize outstanding individuals involved in public broadcasting for their innovativeness and creativity.
- To inspire others involved in public broadcasting to greater achievement in the field of public radio and television.
- To foster an exchange of innovative, creative ideas and solutions among public broadcasters.
- To increase awareness of public broadcasting and the contributions talented individuals make to the industry statewide.
Professionals and volunteers involved in Michigan public radio or television are eligible for nomination. Nominations can be made by colleagues, supervisors and/or station managers. Activities for which the person is nominated may be long-term, to recognize lifetime contributions to public broadcasting, or more recent, to reflect a concentrated period of achievement.
Nominations must be recived by the specified deadline. The Deadline for nominations and supporting material has passed for 2012. Please check this website frequently for updates on next year's deadline information
Please print the nomination form in PDF and mail with supporting information to:
Michigan Association of Public Broadcasters
819 N. Washington Avenue
Lansing, MI 48906
Station managers will be notified if one of their staff members or volunteers has been selected to receive an award prior to the 2012 Summer Conference, so that plans can be made for the recipient (s) to attend.
There will be up to two awards given — one Professional (radio, television, or joint) and one Volunteer. The recipients will be selected and recognized at the 2012 Summer Conference at the Motor City Casino in Detroit on Monday, August 20 during the Chairman’s Banquet.
The nominee's will be judged for each category including both television and radio. The judges will consist of a panel of their peers selected from Michigan public radio and television stations to evaluate the nominee's qualifications.
Judges will evaluate nominees on the basis of:
- Development of creative solutions to address station problems or concerns.
- Development of innovative projects or programs designed to meet station challenges.
- Development of programs, projects or activities which are cost — and/or time — effective.
- Development of programs, projects or activities which make effective use of staff or volunteer resources.
- Involvement and service to the community.
- Involvement and service to public broadcasting.
Copies of material related to the nominee's accomplishments or achievements should accompany the nomination form. Please label whether it is a radio or television entry. Also please include a head shot of your nominee in your entry packet. If you have any questions concerning the Pioneer Award program please contact Ann Cochrane via email at email@example.com or by phone at the MAB at (517) 484-7444.