The MHSAA was originally created in the 1924-25 school year to serve as the service organization for interscholastic athletics in the state of Michigan. It is a charter member of the National Federation of State High School Associations.
In 1976, the MHSAA was made a private, non-profit corporation of voluntary membership by a state Attorney General’s ruling and moved from offices in downtown Lansing to East Lansing – first on Trowbridge Road; and since 1996, on Ramblewood Drive.
As a private, non-profit corporation, the MHSAA receives no tax dollars from the state of Michigan or the federal government. Its membership, made up of public, private, and parochial schools, pay no membership dues or tournament entry fees — the only one of two such associations nationally to not accept membership dues or tournament entry fees from schools.
Through their boards of education, member schools voluntarily join the MHSAA each and every year, vowing by formal resolution to abide by and enforce common rules for educational athletics. Membership is optional: schools may conduct a complete program of interscholastic athletics and may participate against MHSAA member schools in regular-season competition without joining the MHSAA.
John R. Johnson, Communications Director for MHSAA, says “The opportunities for athletic participation for Michigan secondary schools has grown from the original program of football, basketball, track, and baseball for boys to a total of 28 sport activities in which tournaments for boys and girls are organized and conducted by the MHSAA. If one considers the breakdown of the 28 sports into categories of male, female, classes and divisions by enrollment, and Upper and Lower Peninsula, there is a total of 120 separate tournaments in which schools vie for a championship trophy. Nearly 300,000 young men and women take part in these activities each year.”
Visit the MHSAA website here.